Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Expression

"I fancy a man who is expressive," said Niharika.

She also fancied poetry. Between college lectures, Niharika would show Bhavin musings on instagram from renowned poets. She also read books. Bhavin had visited a poetry slam with her where he'd kept gawking at her as she smiled all evening. He kept thinking about her while on his way home.

Later that night he pulled out a piece of paper and decided to pen something for her before crumpling it in his hand and hurling it across the room. He was no writer. He could barely stand reading. He was terrible at academics or sports. He was bullied by his friends because of his frame. He feared rejection. He pulled out another piece of paper and began to scribble again. Words let him down this time, so did his self esteem.

Niharika visited the canteen after the final lecture. She sat alone downing a cup of coffee with the poetry she was deeply immersed into. Bhavin sat beside her while trying to keep a distance.

"Your girlfriend will be lucky," she said.

"Why do you say that?"

"You're expressive."

"I'm not expressive. I can barely say what I feel."

"Not via words. You say a lot otherwise."

"Can you read it?"

"I can but I can't say for sure I'd be right. By the way, Shikha and the girls were whispering that you have a crush on someone from our class."

Bhavin pulled away. "I don't think I can ever tell her."

"Why not?."

"She's out of my league."

"You're thinking too much. I can help you. Really."

"Thanks but she's not single."

"Ah tough luck! Well, don't worry. You'll find someone amazing soon. Anyway I've to catch the 5:40 local home. Do you want to come?"

"No, you carry on. Thanks."

Niharika bade goodbye to him and he watched her walk away. He wanted to tell her that she looked pretty in Indian. Even more when she smiled.

He read a few pages of the book she left behind. There were metaphorical verses on love, longing, pain and hope. He wondered if the reason writers used metaphors was because direct expression of feelings failed many like him.

He flattened the crumpled piece of paper and placed it among the pages.

It fit right in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Felicity

Ashna was making a list of cat names just before we bumped into each other for the first time. I'd met her on a park bench one morning....